Re: NetBSD and 4k sectors

H_Muehlmeier%gmx.de@localhost (Helge Muehlmeier) writes:

>I'm looking for e.g. Western Digital WD Blue Mobile 1000GB WD10SPCX.

>I think it is a disk which has 4K sectors internally... But I don't
>realy know it ;-)

It's 4K internal and 512 on the interface. If a drive is sold as
a boot device for a PC, then it can't be any different as the
BIOS in most PCs cannot handle 4K sectors. If you really find
a disk that has non-512byte blocks on the interface, then it
is some non-SATA drive, i.e. SCSI or it's sitting in a USB enclosure
as Windows USB drivers can handle 4k blocks.

>It would be nice if I could use such disk...

You should properly aligned partitions to avoid performance problems.
I.e. the common default of starting at "cylinder boundaries", in
particular starting at sector 63, would be a bad choice.

>I had a problem years ago to run a 2k MO- disk with 640MB. I didn't
>look at it for a longer time for now... But this is an other thing, right?

Yes. But nowadays you could use the standard FFS filesystem on this MO,
I'm using a USB hard drive with 1K sectors.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost