Re: Booting woes with two (SSD) disks

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:48:36AM +0100, Torbjörn Granlund wrote:
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:
>
>   > Please help.  Can I run Xen + NetBSD on this system?
>
>   try:
>   menu=Boot Xen 1:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0 console=pc bootdev=wd0; multiboot /xen.gz dom0_mem=1024M
>
> Yes!
>
> Thanks!
>
> (I am curious about the cause of this problem.  Surely the current
> behaviour is not desirable?)

The problem is that with the multiboot format, the boot loader doesn't
pass informations to the NetBSD kernel about the boot device (for various
reasons, one of them being that the NetBSD kernel in this case is not the
kernel, but a module of the Xen kernel).
So, if there is more than one disk, the NetBSD kernel has no good information
to choose the root device and may make a bad guess.