Re: NPF on domU - more clarity required

At date and time Fri, 26 Dec 2014 22:38:05 +0000 (UTC), Michael van Elst wrote:

> lists+netbsd.users%netmail.ie@localhost (Gerard Lally) writes:
>
> >compiling the kernel as a normal user instead of root? I've just noticed
> >the owner and group on /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/custom-20141226/
> >are gerard:wsrc. Should that be root:wsrc instead?
>
> It doesn't matter who is the owner of the build directory, but did
> you actually boot this kernel?

Oh dear. Problem solved. I've made a very silly mistake. With prgmr I
should have placed the custom kernel in /ext2fs/boot/ instead of /

The domU was not using my custom /netbsd kernel at all. It was still
using the domU kernel installed by sysinst. The kernel specified in
/boot.cfg, which I mistakenly assumed was the booting kernel, is
irrelevant. NetBSD as a prgmr domU uses a grub setup with the domU
kernel in a small ext2 partition /ext2fs/boot/ and the boot
configuration file /ext2/boot/grub/menu.lst

Well I am happy this problem is now solved, and I apologise for my
cantankerous first post! Mea culpa.

Thank you Michael, and thank you to all the other senior NetBSD devs who
stooped to help out this perpetual newbie, here and in private!

As a sidenote, if there's a way of eliminating the grub cruft and using
NetBSD's boot manager instead I'd be glad to hear it.

--
Gerard Lally