Re: NPF on domU - more clarity required

At date and time Fri, 26 Dec 2014 20:10:35 +0000 (UTC), Christos Zoulas wrote:

> In article <20141226020448.EE93.280FC639%netmail.ie@localhost>,
> Gerard Lally  <lists+netbsd.users%netmail.ie@localhost> wrote:
> >I have been struggling to get NPF up and running on a NetBSD VPS,
> >specifically a Xen domU. I really think for security reasons NPF should
> >be nearly ready to go, so that we don't have to spend hours researching
> >and pulling our hair out trying to fix what should be a straightforward
> >issue, which leaves a machine vulnerable when it probably needs
> >protection most. It appears this problem came up some years ago, but
> >Googling provides me with no fix.
> >
> >I understand that NetBSD as a Xen domU does not support kernel modules.
> >So the recommendation in the NPF documentation to "modload" npf_ext_log
> >does not apply here. Fine, I took a wild guess and compiled a new Xen
> >domU kernel with the following two lines added to make sure NPF logging
> >and normalisation functionality was compiled into the kernel instead:
> >
> >options NPF_EXT_LOG
> >options NPF_EXT_NORMALISE
> >
> >Needless to say I also made sure pseudo-device npf was enabled as well.
> >
> >I also made sure /dev/npf existed, and I created /etc/ifconfig.npflog0
> >with just the word "create".
> >
> >I kept the contents of npf.conf to a minimum for troubleshooting, but
> >NPF just refuses to load. This is the error I get at boot:
> >
> >npfctl: cannot open '/dev/npf': Device not configured
> >npfctl: cannot open '/dev/npf': Device not configured
> >/etc/rc.d/npf exited with code 1
>
> See if the device driver for npf is registered with the kernel correctly:
>
> 	$ sysctl kern.drivers | tr , '\n' | grep npf
> 	  [198 -1 npf]

Thank you Christos.

[root]# sysctl kern.drivers | tr , '\n' | grep npf
 [198 -1 npf]

> Make sure that the device numbers are correct:
>
> 	$ ls -l /dev/npf
> 	crw-------  1 root  wheel  198, 0 Oct 13  2013 /dev/npf

[root]# ls -la /dev/npf
crw-------  1 root  wheel  198, 0 Dec 26 00:38 /dev/npf

> Look at the ktrace output and see what operation fails:
>
> 	$ ktrace /sbin/npfctl start
> 	$ kdump | less

[root]# ktrace /sbin/npfctl start
npfctl: cannot open '/dev/npf': Device not configured

[root]# kdump | less

kdump.txt attached.

I should have added extra information in my last post as well. Better
late than never:

NetBSD xxxxxx.xen.prgmr.com 7.0_BETA NetBSD 7.0_BETA
(XEN3_DOMU.201412251110Z) amd64

System installed using ftp, from nyftp.netbsd.org, with all sets.

I used the following config to compile the kernel with npf built-in,
using syssrc.tgz from NetBSD 7.0_BETA 201412251110Z:

/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/conf/XEN3_DOMU

Perhaps I caused myself a problem by extracting syssrc.tgz and
compiling the kernel as a normal user instead of root? I've just noticed
the owner and group on /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/custom-20141226/
are gerard:wsrc. Should that be root:wsrc instead? (I am in the wsrc
group.) I seem to remember reading it's permissible to compile a kernel
as a normal user once you're in the wsrc group.

--
Gerard Lally