Re: Activate usb wifi adapter success or not ?

Hello Greg & Ed,

Thank you for response quickly !

Greg, you point out the things I forgot to check. There is a built-in Ethernet Adapter, fxp0, in my laptop. I use it to complete NetBSD's install process. It was assigned a default gateway, 192.168.1.1, and has a start script as ifconfig.fxp0 in /etc. However, my access point's IP is also 192.168.1.1. For avoiding confuse, I delete /etc/ifconfig.fxp0 and comment default gateway in /etc/rc.conf. Then reboot my laptop again. Great ! I can surf Internet via my usb wifi adapter.

Ed, you give me a new thought about saving USB port for something else. My laptop has PCMCIA device. But it had never been used. Although it is ten years old, I don't want to lose it. This is my first laptop. I use it to learn Linux and take some projects as freelancer. Actually, I want to do something with it. But I have no idea now.

Regards,
ChingYuan

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 5:59 AM, Ed <edwardmx%gmx.us@localhost> wrote:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 16:40:46 +0800
JingYuan Chen <phil.cyc%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed NetBSD 6.1.5 in my old laptop, Compaq Presario 2800.
> Everything works properly but usb wifi adapter, 3COM 3CRUSB10075, can not
> connect to Internet. This adapter's driver, zyd, was loaded by NetBSD at
> boot time and assigned as zyd0.
>
> After starting wpa_supplicant manually, it shows that it is associated with
> my AP. However, I find that this adapter's status is active , not
> associated, in ifconfig. I try to use parameter -d and -f to get
> wpa_supplicant's log. But there is no error with WPA's authorization.
>
> I try to use dhclient with zyd0 and it gets an IP address successfully. So,
> I think that it works with my AP. But sometimes it returns "zyd0 : xfer too
> short (length=22)". What is the meaning of this ? Actually, I can not ping
> my AP from zyd0. I have to flush route table and add default gateway with
> interface zyd0. Then I can ping my AP. But I still can not surf Internet.
>
> I wonder whether I activate this adapter successfully or not. Is there
> anything I missed ?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

this Howto from the wiki may help?
worked for me.
http://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_use_wpa_supplicant/

May be interested in using wireless pccard instead and save the USB port for something else:-)
I just picked up a used netgear wg511t pccard for my ten year old pentium m laptop for $8.00 from ebay

the ath driver supports it, however, watch out for the caveats mentioned on the ath man page

--
Ed <edwardmx%gmx.us@localhost>