hostapd/dhcpd problem in netbsd-7, but not netbsd-6

Hello all,

I'm having a strange problem. I've set up an "access point" using hostapd, a wifi adapter (ral0), a wired ethernet adapter (mvgbe0 in my dockstar) and I bridged ral0 and mvgbe0 together using brconfig.

It works fine if I'm on netbsd-6. Specifically, 6.1_STABLE from kernels I've been building recently from netbsd-6. The userland is probably 6 months old or so.

However, on my dockstar machine with netbsd-7 and an identical setup, everything works fine EXCEPT wifi clients attached to wifi adapter ural0 (new name for ral0 in netbsd-7) or athn0 (another wifi adapter, not supported in netbsd-6) cannot get a DHCP address. If you google "hostapd dhcp not working", you'll see similar problem descriptions (but on Linux). If I set a static address on the wifi client, the problem is "solved".

This same dhcpd (installed on another machine in the same subnet) is working fine for many clients that are wired or attached to another wifi access point in the network.

When the problem occurs, I can see that the dhcp client is asking for an address because the dhcpd server tries to respond. But those frames never make it back to the client that needs the address. And an address is never set. Well, actually, that's not true. I saw it work correctly maybe once or twice in netbsd-7. Bizarre.

Does anyone know what changed in netbsd-7?

Andy