reliability of COMPAT_* support

I am curious about the state of COMPAT_* support in NetBSD kernels.  In the distant past I know I had some binaries that I had to run using that support, but generally don't any longer.  Is it still really possible to run 0.8 binaries, for example, on current systems?  How is this support validated?  Is that part of the test harness?  Can anyone point to examples of known success at  running really old binaries?

Thanks for any information that emerges.

Cheers,
Brook