Re: ngroups

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 04:33:22PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> >We need to have more than 16 groups per user.  Is this possible?
> >We are running old versions of NetBSD, but we can update if necessary.
>
> Short answer: no.
>
> You can try to change NGROUPS_MAX in sys/featuretest.h and rebuild
> the system. It's a compile time constant in many places (not just
> the kernel) which is also used for stack objects. So enlarging
> it a bit might work, making it substantially larger probably causes
> problems.

Hmm. :(  We need to control users' access to files and directories
and 16 groups may not be enough.  (At least it leaves no room for
future changes.)  Do you know what the biggest problem with a large
ngroups would be?  Can't be memory consumption these days, I think..

> And it won't change the standard NFS limit of 16 groups.

We are going to use sshfs and the only limiting factor (as far as I know)
is the ngroups limit on the server.

  -jm