Re: /usr/bin/passwd suid

On Wed, Oct 08, 2014 at 10:13:04AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:

> but you need to add "p", i.e.:
>
>    tar xpfz base.tgz
>
> to (p)reserve the permissions. You can fix this by re-extracting the sets,
> or by using mtree(8) and the data in /etc/mtree (not tested, something like:
> cat /etc/mtree/* | mtree -U)

When upgrading, I'm always using contents from my HISTFILE and that
had a (p) in its tar xpzf since the first time I issued the command.

On the other hand, lets say I didn't use (p), there would probably be a
lot more files without the suid bit set.  So why is it always limited to
/usr/bin/passwd and /usr/bin/yppasswd?

Fixing this is not a problem but I wonder why it happens every once in a
while.