Re: su makes not proper root

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 07:37:31 +0200
Zoran Kolic wrote:

> On raspberry pi I installed 7.99 and use
> su to get root. At first, I spoted that,
> during shutdown, message says it came from
> zoran@localhost. I expected root@localhost.

NetBSD su remembers your login id, unlike su used in some other OS.
Try id -p as root to see this.

If system has several admins, login id in shutdown message is probably
more informative, and even with only one admin I think it doesn't do
any harm.

> Now, I have a lot of problems configuring
> mail app. I could send mail outbound via
> sender_canonical_maps, send from root to
> user correctly. If I send from user to root,
> it goes to /var/mail/root file, but mail
> tries to read /var/mail/user file. I might
> change it with "folder /var/mail/root" and
> read as I should.

I redirect my root mail to main user address using /etc/mail/aliases
(if that helps)

IIRC, you can also use -f to read any mailbox you can access (mail -f
/path/to/mbox).