I'm unable to install NetBSD-6.1.4-amd64-install.img

Hello,

trying to dig into an error i had with S-nail that failed on
several versions of NetBSD (6.0.?, 6.99.24 amd64, 6.99.40 i386)
i wanted to install the most current shipout version for testing
purposes and downloaded the mentioned image.  It was an error
anyway (i always use ISOs for saving them on bootable CD, too),
but now it turns out i'm too stupid to make that image work in
QEMU!  I've tried -fda, -hdc, and whatever, but at best i get
"NetBSD MBR found" (or similar), but that happy message then ends
up with "no operating system found", which both, surprising and
frustrating for an operating system.
..thankful for any hint,
Ciao,

--steffen