Re: postinstall reference files without /usr/src

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 08:42:36PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I am 99% sure that postinstall really just wants an unpacked etc.tgz and
> xetc.tgz somehow.

There are two ways to use it. Assuming you have transfered all your sets
to /tmp on the target machine:

  postinstall -s /tmp/etc.tgz -s /tmp/xetc.tgz -d / check

or (which is very usefull on machines where unpacking takes serious time):

  mkdir /tmp/etc && cd /tmp/etc
  tar xpzf ../etc.tgz
  tar xpzf ../xetc.tgz
  postinstall -s /tmp/etc -d / check

I usually do the latter, but split into two phases: extract etc/xetc, delete
those two sets, then extract all the others onto the target root, then
run postinstall with -s pointing to the previously extracted etc dir.

Martin