Re: postinstall reference files without /usr/src

"J. Lewis Muir" <jlmuir%imca-cat.org@localhost> writes:

> I built the netbsd-6 CVS branch from source using BUILD-NetBSD from
> (pkgsrc) sysutils/etcmanage (0.8.2).  This creates a directory named
> releasedir which contains the binary sets and kernel.  I then copy these
> binary set and kernel files to a target machine where I install them
> using INSTALL-NetBSD.  Doing this enables me to not keep a source tree
> on the target machine nor build from source on the target machine.

Indeed, this is part of the point of the scripts.

> After running INSTALL-NetBSD on the target machine, I want to run
> "postinstall check".  Unfortunately, this does not work because
> "/usr/src" does not exist.  Looking at the postinstall(8) man page shows
> me that there's a '-s' option to specify reference files.  So, I can
> do "postinstall -s [RELEASEDIR]/amd64/binary/sets/etc.tgz check" where
> [RELEASEDIR] is the path to the releasedir directory I copied over.  For
> this form of the '-s' option, it says the etc.tgz file must be specified
> and the xetc.tgz file is optional.  My question is, are all the other
> set files optional too?  Or put another way, is the '-s' option only for
> specifying etc.tgz and xetc.tgz, or is it also intended to be used for
> base.tgz, comp.tgz, and so on, and by not specifying those, some checks
> will be skipped?

I am 99% sure that postinstall really just wants an unpacked etc.tgz and
xetc.tgz somehow.

You'll find that INSTALL-NetBSD leaves the etc.tgz and xetc.tgz sets
unpacked in /usr/netbsd-etc, so you should be able to do:

  postinstall -s /usr/netbsd-etc check

which is working for me.