Re: xentools42 compilation error

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 05:19:22PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 01:40:05PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 04:12:23PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> > > I have just updated xentools42 and face the following error:
> >
> > on which system ?
>
> Sorry, I missed that. It was NetBSD 6.1 i386.

OK. it's probably a compiler bug, I'm not sure how to fix this.
Changing compile optimisation options usually works around this kind of
problem.

> I checked xentools41 instead and that compiled fine.
>
> I am able to boot NetBSD DOM0 now.
>
> But during boot I face an error "cannot find root device" or something
> like that.
>
> If I enter the root device manually (sd0a in my case) the booting
> proceeds.
>
> I have two questions now:
>
> 1. After entering "boot device" it asks for dump device with default value
> as sd0b.  What is the "dump device". Is it same as the swap device which
> is sd0i on my system?

It's the device where the kernel will write a core dump if it panics.
It's usually the swap partition. This will be changed when /etc/fstab
is read later, when the swap device is activated.

kernel core dump doesn't work for Xen kernel at this time.

> 2. In boot.cfg I do not find a way to specify the root device. Where do I
> need to specify it so that during booting it doesn't ask the above
> question? (When I boot my non xen kernel, it never asks this question.)

You should be able to use
root=sd0a
in /boot.cfg