Re: NPF not loading and starting at boot

On 8/10/14, 4:11 PM, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm running amd64 NetBSD 6.1.4 (GENERIC) in a Red Hat KVM (RHEL 6.4.0
> PC) virtual machine.  I have configured NPF to load and start at boot
> by adding "npf=YES" to /etc/rc.conf.  However, after booting, NPF is
> not running:
>
> ===
> # npfctl show
> Filtering:      inactive
> Configuration:  empty
> ===
>
> Starting it by hand using the rc.d system works fine:
>
> ===
> # /etc/rc.d/npf start
> Enabling NPF.
> ===

I investigated yet some more, and I'm starting to wonder if somehow the
npf kernel module is erroneously getting automatically unloaded.

I found that if I add the following to /etc/rc.local, NPF will behave
correctly (i.e. it will be loaded and running after boot):

===
/sbin/modunload npf
/sbin/modload npf
/sbin/npfctl reload
/sbin/npfctl start
===

This NetBSD machine is very ordinary; it's a generic kernel; I haven't
added any custom kernel modules, etc.

I also tested this on another amd64 NetBSD 6.1.4 machine, a VMware
virtual machine, and it exhibits the same problem.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Lewis