Re: CUPS experts?

Paul Goyette writes:
- I've recently installed cups, and having some difficulty getting it to
- work.  (I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, but I haven't any
- clue on where to look...)
-
- I have manually started cupsd (since there doesn't seem to be any
- /etc/rc.d file), and I've also stopped lpd.

Unless you've got PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS set, the rc.d scripts with the
package install into /usr/pkgsrc/share/examples/rc.d.  Look for
the rc.d script for cups (and other packages) there. (since I
never remember to set PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS, I end up installing them
manually.)

-                                            I used the web admin
- interface to add my printer, which shows up in /etc/printcap as
-
-       lp|HP DeskJet 6940 series:rm=screamer.whooppee.com:rp=lp:
-
- The pritner admin page shows
-
-          Location:
-            Driver:    HP DeskJet 6940 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
-                       (color, 2-sided printing)
-        Connection:    socket://192.168.2.253
-          Defaults:    job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in
-                       sides=one-sided

[...]

- There is no traffic to the printer socket (port 9100), and nothing
- prints.

What happens when you try to send something directly to port
9100?

Have verified that the printer doesn't support either IPP or
LPD directly?  If it supports either of those, I would recommend
using those protocols over the TCP stream at port 9100.

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric%cirr.com@localhost
http://www.cirr.com