Re: How to install rxvt-unicode-256color termcap entry on machine without X

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 10:42:04PM +0100, atomicules wrote:
> On 30-May-2014 14:31:11, Gerard Lally wrote:
> >I copied this terminfo source file to my home directory in NetBSD and
> >ran tic on it:
> >
> >tic -s rxvt-unicode-256color.terminfo.
> >
> >This created a .terminfo directory in HOME, and a subdirectory r with a
> >single file in r called rxvt-unicode-256color. No cdb extension in other
> >words.
>
> I'm stumped and confused. I don't understand how NetBSD could do that
> (not create a database file; a file with the .cdb extension).
> According to the man page for tic:
>
> >DESCRIPTION
> >    The tic utility compiles terminfo(5) source into a database for use by
> >    other programs.  The created database path name is the same as the
> >    source
> >    but with .cdb appended.
>
> The .terminfo directory and subdirecotry you describe is what I see on Arch
> Linux, but not NetBSD.

Make sure you run the right tic - if you have ncurses installed due to
some package dependency you may be accidentally running the ncurses tic
which will produce the wrong results, try using /usr/bin/tic and see
what happens.  This catches me out from time to time.

--
Brett Lymn
Staple Guns: because duct tape doesn't make that KerCHUNK sound - xkcd.com