Re: No subdirectory accepted in /var/run ?

    From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> [140228 21:24]
    On Fri, 28 Feb 2014, herbert langhans wrote:

    > I create a subdirectory /var/run/snort
    > I restart the server - subdirectory /snort is gone

    Removed by /etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal
    hier(7) says that the /var/run/ system information files are "rebuilt
    after each reboot".
    If this is a package snort, then maybe it should be adjusted to use a
    different snort pid location? Or the snort.sh rc.d script can be
    adjusted to create if needed.
    Maybe as a workaround if you use a rc.d/snort script then maybe add
    /etc/rc.conf.d/snort containing:
    mkdir -p /var/run/snort
    Or add that mkdir to your /etc/rc.local
    Or use snort --pid-path to choose different location in your startup?

Thanks Jeremy,
I didnt find the reference for it. And the /usr/pkg/etc/snort.conf has
the option to direct the pid file to any directory.

But actually /var/run is the place where it belongs. Instead of asigning
757 to /var/run I wanted to create a subdirectory /var/run/snort where
it can dump the pid file with owner/group snort:snort.

Is it a bad idea to make /var/run 757 or 777? Its a webserver...
herb langhans