Re: No subdirectory accepted in /var/run ?

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014, herbert langhans wrote:

> I create a subdirectory /var/run/snort
> I restart the server - subdirectory /snort is gone

Removed by /etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal

hier(7) says that the /var/run/ system information files are "rebuilt
after each reboot".

> It would be good to have this, since snort's pidfile has trouble with
> it when I restart snort. Also I dont want to be to generous with the
> /var/run permissions.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks!

If this is a package snort, then maybe it should be adjusted to use a
different snort pid location? Or the snort.sh rc.d script can be
adjusted to create if needed.

Maybe as a workaround if you use a rc.d/snort script then maybe add
/etc/rc.conf.d/snort containing:

mkdir -p /var/run/snort

Or add that mkdir to your /etc/rc.local

Or use snort --pid-path to choose different location in your startup?