Re: Running dhcpd on bridge0

I wrote:

  >I need to run dhcpd on a NetBSD 6.1.3 system and have it listen on
  >bridge0.
  >
  >Unfortunately, apparently the wondrous dhcpd program won't accept to
  >start when directed to an interface without an IP address.  And I
  >haven't been able to coax an NetBSD bridge interface to accept an IP
  >address.
  >
  >Can this be done at all?  I'd rather not add an extra computer to act as
  >an DHCP server.

Peter Eisch <peter%boku.net@localhost> writes:

  Add a tap interface to the bridge.

Thanks, that works like a charm when done manually.

But I cannot seem to get it to work at reboot.

I tried this way:

  # cat ifconfig.tap0
  create
  !ifconfig $int 192.168.0.1

  # cat ifconfig.bridge0
  create
  !brconfig $int add bnx0 up
  !brconfig $int add tap0 up

This requires that tap0 is created first, but /sbin/ifconfig -C (used by
the relevant lines of /etc/rc.d/network) lists bridge before tap.

Is the designed way to get this right that I set net_interfaces?
For portability to future hardware,

   net_interfaces="`/sbin/ifconfig -l` tap bridge"

should work in my case.  (Well, except that I'll need a hardware
specific ifconfig_blah in any case.)

(I am making a complex installation of NetBSD with a bunch of xen guests
and qemu guests, and I will leave my job and this system.  I really
would like to do things right for maintainability.)

Torbjörn
Please encrypt, key id 0xC8601622