Re: Which Linux?

On February 15, 2014 2:39:01 PM EST, Christian Koch
<cfkoch%sdf.lonestar.org@localhost> wrote:
>On Sat, Feb 08, 2014 at 10:08:41AM -0800, Richard L. Dery wrote:
>> Pkgsrc comes with three versions of Linux. Which one is preferred
>> for Linux emulation?
>
>Which ever one you want. pkgsrc gives you a choice on purpose. I
>personally
>don't use Linux emulation, but I don't see why you shouldn't use the
>most recent
>version.

If he's asking, then he probably doesn't know why he should "want" one version
over another.

Richard,
Looking at the commit history, I'd say definitely stay away from suse 10.0, as
it doesn't look like it's had any substantive updates in years (e.g. no
security updates)
As for the difference between 12.1 and 13.1, I don't know any specific reasons
to pick one or the other, but as Christian said, go with the newer one.
If you run into problems running your programs (e.g. perhaps the binary you're
running needs a specific version of libc) then install the earlier one.  The
easiest way to figure that out is probably just try it and see.

Eric