IA64 [was: Re: Does my processor support 64bit kernel?]

On Feb 11, 2014, at 20:59 , Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

> The easiest and most reliable thing to is to get an amd64 install image
> and to boot the CD and see if it runs.  But if EM64T isn't set it almost
> certainly won't work.
>
>  2. Which sets shall I use for an Intel 64 bit processor - amd64? A bit
>  worried since wikipedia page below says there are differences between
>  amd64 and intel 64
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_64#Intel_64
>
> the following is fuzzy but should give you the right impression:
>
> 1. Intel produced "IA64" which is a 64-bit processor that is significantly
> different from i386.  It was going to be the new thing, but has pretty
> much faded into obscurity.  I have never actually seen one, nor have I
> logged into a machine running one.

Since you mention this... I have two of those IA64 machines at my office.
I originally took them for ragge@ who likes to poke around with obscure
architectures.
But we seem to have forgotten about those machines, until now when you made me
remember those again.

So, do you want one? or would a picture of one of those be good enough :-)
(AFAIK, they are still in our storage room…somewhere)

/P