Re: Downloading NetBSD - Too complicated ?

Hello there,

> A FTP server might or might not be under a CDN, in the case of PC-BSD
> they use a CDN, although I must say it doesn't make much diference for
> me (europe/portugal).
>
> NetBSD has several FTP mirror servers, I tend to use ftp.nl.netbsd.org
> or ftp.uk.netbsd.org because they are closer to me, but AFAIK its not
> under a CDN.

With all this talk about easing/shortening the path to the download and CDN, we
could probably do something else: Introduce Torrent as a possible way to
download an iso. This way, we would take the load of the main-servers and
distribute it to everyone who's downloading an iso, plus speeding it up and
additionally enable people to contribute in spreading NetBSD by simply keeping
on to seed the files.

I'd be willing to provide one of the necessary permanent seed-locations, at
least as long as my server's not the only one seeding, since my traffic is not
unlimited.

It's just a thought, and it's not the first time that it crossed my mind, so as
we're currently discussing this topic anyway, I thought it might be a good time
to bring it up.

Oh, and it shouldn't be too hard to put an appropriate download-link somewhere
within reach of less then six clicks, either ;)

- Volkmar

--
http://www.dimensionv.de/
http://tech.nifelheim.info/