Re: Downloading NetBSD - Too complicated ?

Marc Balmer wrote:
> Am 06.02.14 19:10, schrieb Lucius Rizzo:
> > Zafer Aydo??an wrote:
> >> Lucius, its not about installing, its about getting an image to install.
> >>
> >> That process is just too complicated and needs to be easier.
> >
> > Heh. You do bring up a good point. I mean, I still ftp to NetBSD to
> > download images. When I have to do that, I find myself looking and
> > installing ncftp3/lftp. And by habit or use, I know where to look for
> > either the iso or pkgsrc current.
> >
> > The site too can do with a uplift of making it somewhat pleasing. But
> > the thought of suggest a change - erm going from today's site to a more
> > dynamic one - say ubuntu.com actually even considering a social media
> > presence all linked back to NetBSD. Engaging and bringing a new
> > audience.
> >
> > Though, I bet 90% of the BSD folk reading the para above would have thrown
> > up slightly at the thought. So any chances, especially ones that make
> > NetBSD.org not feel circa 2002, will meet resistance I feel.
> >
> > Is there a UI group that gives design ideas or drives changes to the
> > website?
>
> Yes.  Please email marketing%NetBSD.org@localhost.  Actually we have plans
> for the
> website.  And please note, when we speak of the website, we actually
> mean two things:
>
> 1)  A wiki which contains a whole wealth of information
>
> 2)  A website that merely tells what NetBSD is and such
>
> -
>
> 1)  Will evolve with the help of users and developers.  Amitai Schlair
> did set it up in Ikiwiki and he takes the lead here.
>
> 2)  Will probably be redesigned by a group of TNF members.  marketing@
> will likely take the lead here.

I have to admit, except for the last part about UI design, it was
somewhat tongue in cheek. Nevertheless, I am delighted to see an effort
to modernize the look and acces to information. The fact that you are
willing to consider this evolving (so to speak), shows how mature this
project has become IMHO.

In the past four years, I have noticed that my habits find myself
relying consideribly more on Social Media. In fact, I never thought that
in 2014, over 80% of my coomunication with others depend on social media
networks. While we watch twitter fall 20% today, I also see a possible
outlet of information to new users for NetBSD.

Consideribly so, there is always this fight for purity vs. the new
social media du jour frenzy. However, simply put..many of the articles I
find interesting, are already in my stream of whatever app/device
etc..for instance, its far easier to Like something in our lazy new
interweb days..

And naturally, I will email marketing@ :)

--

++ Excitement and danger await your induction to tracer duty!  As a tracer, ++
++ you must rid the computer networks of slimy, criminal data thieves. ++
++ They are tricky and the action gets tough, so watch out!  Utilizing all ++
++ your skills, you'll either get your man or you'll get burned! ++
++       -- advertising for the computer game "Tracers" ++