Re: Install i386 or amd64?

from Ottavio Caruso:

> I have two questions:

> 1) If Wine requires kernel support that is only available on i386, how
> would a /compat/i386 solve the problem?

> 2) Wouldn't there be then two layers of emulation, ie 64 to 32, and 32
> to Windows? Is it worth the pain?

I would try this on FreeBSD before Linux and possibly NetBSD.

I looked in the NetBSD Guide and didn't find where to put NetBSD-32
compatibility directory.

I remember Linux compatibility directory was /emul/linux , and /compat/linux in
FreeBSD.

Running i386-wine in FreeBSD from amd64 would not use the i386 kernel; I read
that wiki page.

from Julian Stacey:

> Just FreeBSD on x86 & amd64,
  since I sold my pc532 (NS32000 CPU) running NetBSD,
  but I'm thinking of installing a NetBSD partition to see if urtwn device
  interface performs better on a nano size Edimax EW-7811Un,
  (it dissapears on FreeBSD, I suspect/ possible over-heating)
  (urtwn came from Net to Free, & newer sources in NetBSD, last I looked).

I'm curious to see athn work in NetBSD-current on MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard,
where re driver works in NetBSD and Linux but not FreeBSD, OpenBSD and
DragonFlyBSD.  OpenBSD 5.4 has athn and rsu.

I have lynx installed for NetBSD-current amd64, and now managed to get pkgsrc
xorg to start.  But no returning to text console (dark screen), though I can
type "shutdown -r now" in the dark and get a clean dismount of file system.

> http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?re++NetBSD-current
        The re device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 5.2 and was
        ported to NetBSD 2.0.

> Net & Free both have ath, but only Net has athn.

Some Ethernet chips that work with re might not work with re from some time
back, I don't know how far, probably not good for NetBSD < 5.x .

Tom