Re: Install i386 or amd64?

Hi, Reference:

"Thomas Mueller" wrote:

> Excerpt from Brett Lymn:
>
> > In that case, why mention PAE at all?  There was pretty clear advice
> > prior to your email recommending just running amd64.  Your message
> > looked to be implying that i386/PAE was just as functional as amd64.
> > This is not the case.
>
> Not to argue that i386/PAE is just as functional as amd64, but having an i386
> installation is useful for some applications that only work on 32-bit, such
> as wine, though I believe there is early development for 64-bit.
>
> I want to test and hopefully benefit from MS-Windows functionality, but this
> does not bar having amd64 and i386 installations on different (GPT)
> partitions or different drives.
>
> I want to do that with FreeBSD (wine) and Linux where I'd have better chance
> of success than with NetBSD.
>
> Tom

FYI no wine on latest FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE amd64
cd /usr/ports/emulators/wine ; make
        ===>  wine-1.6.1,1 is only for i386, while you are running amd64.
cd /usr/ports/emulators/wine-devel ; make
        ===>  wine-devel-1.7.8,1 is only for i386, while you are running amd64.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Interleave replies below like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".