Re: Install i386 or amd64?

On Jan 25,  3:12pm, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
} On 25 January 2014 14:58, herbert langhans <w3%langhans.com.pl@localhost>
wrote:
} > The BIOS legacy mode I havent heard of yet (my equipment is quite
} > vintage). Does it mean a non-legacy mode computer doesnt boot anything
} > but MS-stuff? Or some funny partition table you cannot get rid of?
}
} I still would check with the manufacturer or reseller what kind of
} firmware they use.
}
} I would expect any modern laptop would come with a new UEFI-compliant
} firmware and not the old fashioned BIOS. I suspect that model would
} come with legacy mode (Lenovo uses the term CSM -Compatibility Support
} Module).

     CSM is the term used in UEFI spec for BIOS compatibilty.

} I am not sure about the status of Netbsd with UEFI firmware but I am
} sure somebody will clarify this point.

     Released versions of NetBSD have okay support for GPT.  -current
has much better support for GPT.  The intention is to backport the
improvements after they are complete.

     Currently, NetBSD can boot with a GPT in CSM mode, but not
full UEFI mode.  Full support for UEFI booting is not in any version
of NetBSD but is being worked on and appears to be coming along
quite well.

     Windows requires full UEFI mode for booting when used with a
GPT, and will only do BIOS booting when used with an MBR.

}-- End of excerpt from Ottavio Caruso