Re: lpd/samba printing with usb

Hi Jeremy,

Have you been able to print successfully to your Samsung SCX-4200 printer via ulpt0 directly (without using samba)?

The same happens whether I use lptest against the device or samba with the appropriate drivers: the laser printer starts to make some noise and warms up like it's going to print something, and doesn't print anything in the end. I tried both, /dev/ulpt0 and /dev/ulpn0.

Before, I didn't see I was having those in the logs,

ulpt0: offline
ulpt0: output error

I've also seen this error below on another occasion, I cannot reproduce it. It was probably caused by my attempt to reconnect the USB cable physically.

uhub0: device problem, disabling port 4

Anyway I've disabled ACPI at boot time and I don't get any of those for now anymore, while the main issue remains.

I think it uses a proprietary format. Some open source driver is at http://splix.ap2c.org/ but for CUPS. I didn't look at it, but maybe you can make that work so you can test locally.

Anyways, I have had ongoing problems trying to print via some ulpt0 printers. There are a few threads about it. I do have good success using a Brother HL 5150D Postscript printer over ulpt0 using lpd for several years now. You may find that using a printer with a non-proprietary format may be easier.

Well I was using good old HP Laserjet 4L before, which I think, aren't postscript either, and it was still printing the text I sent to the device directly (even though there was some indentation issues, the drivers being mandatory to print other documents). My point being, is it truly mandatory for the printer to be postscript compatible to be able to do that (lptest > /dev/ulp{t,n}0) or LPD/samba with a raw printacap entry?

Thanks

Pierre-Philipp