Re: disks question

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013, Roelof Wobben wrote:

> I have two disks on my system.
> One of 300G and one of 80G where Netbsd can be installed.
> In linux they are called :
>
> /dev/sdb 300G
> /dev/sda 80G.
>
> Is there a way I can check which is which one on installing ?

The next sysinst display will show the hard disk (or disks) it found,
such as wd0, wd1, or sd0. These disks are identified by their NetBSD
device name and disk number.

Press Enter to continue to install NetBSD on the detected disk. Or if
you have multiple choices, first select the desired disk to install on.

If you don't know which disk is which, you may be able to find out.
Temporarily suspend the installer by pressing Ctrl-Z. This will give you
a Unix shell prompt. Then search for the hardware in the kernel boot
messages; for example to search for all "wd" disks:

# dmesg | grep wd[0-9]

If your system has one or more "wd" disks, the output may tell you
details about that hardware including its size.

To get back to sysinst, type fg (and press Enter) at the shell prompt to
bring the installer back to the foreground.

(I hope this helps. I copy and pasted this directly from my
unfinished book about NetBSD.)

I thought I had a screenshots of this specific screen, but can't find
now. But the new sysinst code shows that is shows the name, size, and
vendor/product/model (depending on hardware type) so that should help
without using dmesg.