Re: A few newbie questions about networking (wired and wireless)

Hi Ottavio,

On 11/10/13 21:32, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
I've finally managed to install the amd64 port onto a usb disk to use
with a Thinkpad X61.

When running the post-installation utility from the installer, I was
given the option to configure the network. The interfaces available
were wm0, iwn0 and fpiw0. So I selected the iwn0 (wireless) but the
installer complained that it couldn't find a carrier (odd, because the
router is a couple of metres away) and it timed out.
So I selected wm0 and it correctly found the network and was able to
install pkgin.

However now every time I boot the system it hangs a couple of minutes
trying to configure wm0 even when no cable is plugged in.

1) Is the above mentioned intended behaviour?

2) How can I tell the system not to spend time configuring the card if
no cable is plugged in, without blacklisting the card in rc.conf?

Look for ifwatchd(8). I think, it resolve this problem.
See for example http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/blog.html?-tags=ifwatchd

And the most urgent one:
4) I swap between home (wpa) and public library (open network)
wireless. Is there any kind of user friendly gui-based applet that can
help me switch between these networks?
You can have more than one network in wpa_supplicant.conf(5)
In pkgsrc/net you find wpa_gui based on QT4 but I have no experience with it.
Wpa_cli in wpa_supplicant package is for command line.

On Linux I was using network manager and nm-applet. I understand they
are not available either as a binary package or in the ports. I
believe PC-BSD has a similar applet. Is it possible to install it on
Netbsd and if so, how?

No. PC-BSD base upon FreeBSD. That are other binaries, path ...

You find in pkgsrc/meta-pkgs the gnome-package. The Makefile has listed the depended packages. I think nm-applet is a gnome applet.

Best regards
Thomas