Re: ndis(wrapper) status on NetBSD?

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 06:59:29AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > What is the current status of ndis (urndis, ndiswrapper) on NetBSD?
>
> > What architectures, if any, can it be used on?  i386? amd64? others?

> Forget urndis(4), it's something completely different.

> ndis(4) works only on i386, if it works, which it usually doesn't.

> > Does it work on USB wifi adapters?  PCI or PCIE Ethernet or wifi?

> PCI(E) or CardBus only.  There is no USB support with ndis(4).

>         Jonathan Kollasch

Thanks for info.

On-motherboard Ethernet (quasi-PCI/PCIE) Realtek 8111E works fine with NetBSD.

On newer motherboard (MSI Z77 MPOWER), Realtek 8111E works fine with
NetBSD-current amd64,
haven't tried on NetBSD-current i386, and NetBSD 6.1-STABLE hung on boot every
time.

Candidate for ndis was USB, so I guess I won't try.

I read that ndis is behind the times in both NetBSD and FreeBSD.

Newer Ethernet and wireless cards/adapters would require newer features not
present in ndis on NetBSD and FreeBSD, and development has fallen behind.

Tom