Re: cannot configure X in 6.1.2

mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost (Michael van Elst) writes:

> > mueller6724%bellsouth.net@localhost ("Thomas Mueller") writes:
>
> >> from Michael van Elst:

> >> If Xorg -configure is deprecated, what does one use in its place?
>
> > Modern xorg is supposed to configure itself at startup, you can use it
> > without a configuration file.

> Key phrase is "supposed to"...

> It has been my experience that X (whether native or modular) usually
> gets it wrong and that a config file is absolutely necessary.

> This is most frequently seen by those of us who still use CRT displays.
> I also tend to have to fight with it to use some PCIe video adapters.
> It will find the card with '-configure', but fail to find it without.
> (It invariably uses invalid device location syntax, so I have to patch
> what was generated.)

> Then, I can usually make it work.

In 6.1-STABLE i386 I could startx but the mouse pointer would only move left
and right, not up and down.

That was disappointing after I built some programs including hplip and Firefox.

That was from about last June 19.

So now I make sure X will start and not be crippled before building X
applications.

For NetBSD-current, I could try to copy a preexisting xorg.conf from 6.1_STABLE
or FreeBSD 9.2 and make additions and modifications.

I notice some font directories were misconfigured.

Maybe my installation of modular-xorg on -current is completely broken?

If I can't get anything working now, I can try pkg_rolling-replace again in a
few months in hope there will be some improvements.

I really think I do better for X with FreeBSD or Linux than NetBSD.

Tom