Re: imap configuration

Am Freitag, 27. September 2013, 09:47:13 schrieben Sie:
> > I would recommend to user neither Sendmail nor Cyrus SASL. Both have
> > a very poor security track record. The combination of Postfix and
> > Dovecot (for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP with TLS and authentication)
> > works very well.
>
> But both have not had serious issue for quite some time
> (2009 for both sendmail and cyrus-sasl).
full ACK,

i'm just wondering how much non sense is circulating about dovecot as other
email solutions around from and in the dovecot community / "scene", especially
from peoples which are "new" to very new to the email "stuff". Dovecot is not
"more secure" nor "more performant" then solutions like cyrus or even exim
(which i prefer since around 15 years as our myjor smtp) - as in most mailer
setups, security mainly depends from installation / compilation, configuration
(setup at all) aso.. There is no "one solution which is best for all". There
are many but different reasons why mid size to very large email providers not
using dovecot but other open source solutions. This is not becyuse they are
"not know" dovecot or are to dumb to unserstand that dopvecot is "the best".

I'm personally prefer exim over sendmail because it allows us to implement a
small to very small footprint mailer process and it offers the flexibility and
comfort in an own configuration syntax which fit's all of our needs, but it
hardly makes sense to build your own exim binary in larger setups what is
uncomfortable to manage in binary centric distributions. Same happens for
cyrus daemons. Not at least - just building in code which is really required
is one another important step in avoiding security holes in a large scale
mailer.

cheers,

Niels.
--