Re: Poor SSD write performance (new install)

On linux: following 110 seconds of extracting pkgsrc.tar, an immediately subsequent umount command takes ~10 seconds to complete.  So, while interesting, this adjustment clearly can't explain the order of magnitude difference (~6.7 MB/s on Linux vs. ~0.7 MB/s on FreeBSD and NetBSD).

Thanks for the interesting suggestion, nevertheless; the thought does make me a bit wary of accidentally power cycling before sync finishes.  Although, I suppose that is why we have journaling.

Another interesting thing to note is how aggressively linux consumes ram when copying files.

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:10 AM, Jan Danielsson <jan.m.danielsson%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
On 9/11/13 3:47 AM, Nick LaForge wrote:
> FWIW, I untaring pkgsrc.tar is just as slow in FreeBSD as in NetBSD.
> Perhaps Linux is more optimized for my (outdated and slow) compact flash
> based SSD.

   Try running "sync" just after untaring pkgsrc on the linux system.

   My debian system untar's pkgsrc suprisingly fast (it's a very slow
system compared to my netbsd system), but when I run sync (or umount)
afterwards it'll wait for quite a while before returning.

   /Jan