Re: Poor SSD write performance (new install)

Thanks for pointing out how slow 25MB/s is slow to begin with.

After looking into it, I can in fact confirm that this slow number really is a limitation of the drive!  In fact, after opening the laptop, I see now that it is in fact a 1.8" ZIF parallel / IDE (!) SSD.  I was wrong to assume it was a SATA drive.

I am no longer sure it would be worth the effort to track down the relative slowdown on NetBSD, given that the drive is pretty slow to begin with.  That said, I am also concerned that a faster, upgraded 1.8" ZIF SSD might still be hampered with what looks like a problem between the NetBSD kernel and the mainboard (or hopefully, the controller on the SSD, which would be different after the upgrade).

Anyway, I think this netbook has reached its end-of-life.  I only wish the PC industry hadn't moved away from such low end devices (in all likelihood because Windows brings them to their knees).

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Justin Cormack <> wrote:

On 10 Sep 2013 17:28, "Matthias Scheler" <> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 05:23:47PM +0100, Justin Cormack wrote:
> > > You could however try to change the BIOS settings and configure the
> > > SATA ports to use AHCI mode.
> >
> > If Linux is only giving 25MB/s this suggests AHCI is not on, and the
> > performance will be awful.
> Or it could mean that Linux knows how to enable AHCI mode if the BIOS
> didn't do that.

No it doesn't. 25MB/s is way too slow. Even hard drives do 3x this. The look egacy emulation for SSD is very bad though.