Re: Poor SSD write performance (new install)

Thanks for pointing out how slow 25MB/s is slow to begin with.

After looking into it, I can in fact confirm that this slow number really is a limitation of the drive!  In fact, after opening the laptop, I see now that it is in fact a 1.8" ZIF parallel / IDE (!) SSD.  I was wrong to assume it was a SATA drive.

I am no longer sure it would be worth the effort to track down the relative slowdown on NetBSD, given that the drive is pretty slow to begin with.  That said, I am also concerned that a faster, upgraded 1.8" ZIF SSD might still be hampered with what looks like a problem between the NetBSD kernel and the mainboard (or hopefully, the controller on the SSD, which would be different after the upgrade).

Anyway, I think this netbook has reached its end-of-life.  I only wish the PC industry hadn't moved away from such low end devices (in all likelihood because Windows brings them to their knees).

Thanks,
Nick

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Justin Cormack <justin%specialbusservice.com@localhost> wrote:

On 10 Sep 2013 17:28, "Matthias Scheler" <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 05:23:47PM +0100, Justin Cormack wrote:
> > > You could however try to change the BIOS settings and configure the
> > > SATA ports to use AHCI mode.
> >
> > If Linux is only giving 25MB/s this suggests AHCI is not on, and the
> > performance will be awful.
>
> Or it could mean that Linux knows how to enable AHCI mode if the BIOS
> didn't do that.

No it doesn't. 25MB/s is way too slow. Even hard drives do 3x this. The look egacy emulation for SSD is very bad though.