Re: X11 makes black screen

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 11:56:36PM +0200, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> One additional thing that confused me: I need a valid .xinitrc, wich I
> had for me as "user" but when starting as root, I had not and apparently
> there is no default and modern Xorg make a black screen, thus that was
> further adding confusion to my tests.

We default "X" to "retro" mode (gray stiples), just to avoid this kind of
confusion during testing. Within startx, however, we assume a local
client environment will start up, so pass the "-noretro" option to the
X server.

However, you are supposed to have a system default xinitrc in
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, which for me would bring up a xclock, three xterms
and twm. Why did that not work in your case?

Martin