Re: pkgsrc use curl or wget

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 02:56:03PM +0000, Victor Aur?lio Santos wrote:
>> Thank you matthew sporleder worked nice!
>>
>> Mayuresh, have you tried FETCH_USING=aria2c -j16 or something like
>> this ? (based on matthew response)
>
> After Thor's response I am afraid of trying!

Basically the point is that TCP does congestion control.   Running 16
TCPs in parallel uses up more server resources and is rude to the other
people.

What I do is run pkg_chk -f, more or less, and let it run overnight if
it needs to, and generally  distfiles do not take that long to fetch.

If your problem is that your downlink is saturated, accelerators won't
help.  If your downlink is ok but there is a lot of loss between you and
the ftp/http server, it might, but if there's a lot of loss, adding
traffic from multiple TCPs is antisocial to that congestion too.