Re: Installation on a LVM partition

On Jul 8, 11:29pm, Victor Santos wrote:
}
} > Even in the Linux world you can't install on a LVM partition.
} > You have a small regular partition containing the kernel, ramdisk
} > image, grub, grub.conf, and various other items.  The stuff in the
} > ramdisk image is responsible for initialising the LVM subsystem
} > (along with a few other things), then doing a "pivot root" operation
} > to the "real" root filesystem located on an LVM partition.  The
} > installer hides all this "magic" from you.  On a Fedora system,
} > /boot is the small regular partition which the boot code sees.
}
} No, I'm using ArchLinux and all my linux filesystem (including /boot) is
} on a LVM partition, I've also debian (wheezy) and fedora 19 and these
} two also is completly on LVM partition.

     Hrmm, okay, guess they've changed things a bit.  I looked at a
Fedora 18 system (which was Fedora 18 Beta when initially installed).

} The separate partition for /boot that you've talked is only necessary on
} GRUB legacy in the GRUB2 no more need /boot separated. as you can see
} here:
} https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LVM#Installing_Arch_Linux_on_LVM
} (see the warning)
}
} Since GRUB2 can load LVM exists something (either a hack?) that I can do
} for NetBSD boot on LVM ?

     I believe "GRUB legacy" was capable of loading a NetBSD kernel.
So, you can always try, but I don't know enough about it to give
you any advice.  One thing I do recall is that you have to use a
particular blocksize on the filesystem for GRUB to be able to read
it, but I don't recall what the recommended blocksize is.

}-- End of excerpt from Victor Santos