Synaptics Touchpads

Hello,

I'm new to BSD and am trying to instal NetBSD (6.1 amd64) on a laptop, but if
the touchpad is pressed (console or X session), both the keyboard and touchpad
stop responding.

A USB keyboard and mouse connected work fine.

The touchpad appears to be detected correctly (dmesg output):

pms0 at pckbc1 (aux slot)
pms0: Synaptics touchpad version 7.2
pms0:Palm detect
pckbc1: using irq 12 for aux slot
wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0

I'm using the GENERIC kernel, which appears to enable support for touchpads by
default:

# Console Devices
# wscons
pckbc0        at isa?            # pc keyboard controller
pckbd*        at pckbc?        # PC keyboard
pms*        at pckbc?        # PS/2 mouse for wsmouse
#options     PMS_DISABLE_POWERHOOK    # Disable PS/2 reset on resume
options     PMS_SYNAPTICS_TOUCHPAD    # Enable support for Synaptics Touchpads
options     PMS_ELANTECH_TOUCHPAD    # Enable support for Elantech Touchpads
vga*        at pci? dev ? function ?
genfb*        at pci? dev ? function ?
options     VCONS_DRAW_INTR
wsdisplay*    at vga? console ?
wsdisplay*    at wsemuldisplaydev?
wskbd*        at pckbd? console ?
wsmouse*    at pms? mux 0

Was wondering if the touchpad is sending malformed packets and this pms feature
is being triggered (from manpage):

"The pms driver has been updated to attempt to renegotiate mouse protocol
     after seeing suspicious or defective mouse protocol packets, or unusual
     delays in the middle of a packet; this should improve the chances that a
     mouse will recover after being switched away or reset (for instance, by a
     console switch)."

Any help greatly appreciated.

Graham