Re: Unable to dynamically set CPU frequency

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 05:50:55PM +0000, Tim R wrote:
> I installed NetBSD on a HPNX9420 laptop with a dual core
> CentrinoT2600/2.16GHzCPU
> With the Generic kernel both cores revs up to maximum frequency and stays
> there.
> This result in high temperatures within a few minutes and the fan is
> constantly on
> max speed and noise. I installed estd-0.7 from pkgsrc. When I ran estd for
> the first
> time it said it can not guess CPU-scaling technology. Ok, so I built a new
> kernel

  Does lowering the clock speed manually via sysctl succeed?  E.g.,

    host# freqs=$(sysctl -n machdep.est.frequency.available)
    host# minfreq=$(echo $freqs | rs 0 1 | sort -n | head -1)
    host# sysctl -w machdep.est.frequency.target=$minfreq

-Dave B.

--
Boston, MA