Re: New hard disk, copying data

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 05:07:19PM +0200, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> 1) attach the hard disk in an external USB enclosure
> 2) Partition int
> 3) Copy the data (how? using tar/untar perhaps?)
> 4) write the MBR (but how, from the command line? and I don't need
> the boot selection anymore, just flat into NetBSD)

Briefly, fdisk then disklabel then newfs the new root partition.
No need for tar etc if you're mounting it in a USB enclosure, a
simple cp -Rp will do the trick.  Making the disk bootable is
slightly more tricky, you need to install the MBR and then the
primary and secondary boot code (man installboot).

I'd also take a look at
http://www.bsdnexus.com/NetBSD_onastick/install_guide.php - it's
focused on a slightly different problem but essentially it's the
same process.  In both instances you are effectively installing
without the installer.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews%sdf.lonestar.org@localhost