i386 RC_4 failed to boot on some of my hardware (dell d400 laptop)

Title: i386 RC_4 failed to boot on some of my hardware (dell d400 laptop)

I was trying the RC_4 isos and it seems to work on a desktop (and the large disk sector support is there ! --- thanks)

But on my Dell D400 laptop it finds this hardware and stops:

sd0: 1629 GB, 45722 cyl, 130 heads, 225 sec, 3417145469 sectors

cd0 is also on the scsi controller (but is really the USB faked as a SCSI).

I wish I had that hard disk, but it is bogus.

I tried without the ACPI and SMP support and no difference.

I tried the RC_4 install CD and the RC_4 boot CD (boot.iso).  Same problem on both. With different CD media.

Also, I had a ucom0 at umodem0 plugged in originally.  The boot would not proceed until unplugging that device.  Then it stopped at the sd0.