Re: netbsd 6.0.1 amd64 / IPv6 issues where IPv6 stops working after a short time

    Date:        Mon, 11 Mar 2013 22:20:14 +0100
    From:        Florian Geiges <florian%geiges.net@localhost>

  | i have problems getting IPv6 to work reliably using 6.0.1 amd64. The
  | primary v6 IP is dead:beef:421b:2d00:98f7:78cf:d1b0:7ae1,

That's an interesting address...

  | i configured the machine using:
  |
  | /etc/ifconfig.wm0 has:
  |
  | /etc/rc.conf has:
  | ip6mode=autohost
  | rtsol=YES
  | rtsol_flags=wm0

Looks OK.  I'm assuming there is a router on the network connected to
wm0 (an IPv6 configured router) and that it is properly sending out
router advertisements - what's its configuration look like?

  | it then works for a short (as in 10min or so, i have been unable to
  | debug this point further) period of time before simply failing. any IPv6
  | related network program then exits with an error message stating there
  | would be no suitable route to the target host.

Fow what target host?   Something on dead:beef:421b:2d00::/64  or something
on some other network?

If it is the latter, then your netstat output shows no routes, and no
default route, which suggests that the RAs from the router which should
exist aren't appearing - perhaps the rtsol that you force at boot time
causes one to be sent, but then there are no more, and so NetBSd assumes
that router has vanished.

  | Attached are dmesg, ifconfig and netstat outputs while the system works.
  | The output does not differ after failing.

That's odd, if you can reach a destination with the same routing table
as later fails to reach the same destination, then something is very weird.
Are you sure the routing table output is identical (that is, have you used cmp
of diff to compare them, or are you just relying on eyeballing ?)

  | The behaviour is the same when using 6.1-RC1 and -current kernels.

That's not surprising, there have been no significant IPv6 related network
changes anytime recently.

kre