boot disk has two MBR partitions

Please excuse me for asking rather 'naive' question.

i've rtfm'd at

Now, i have a boot disk (NetBSD terminology) of 320 GB (SATA II).

Booted my laptop with 'boot.iso' (NetBSD-current) and using the 'NetBSD' fdisk
utility, i created two MBR partitions (NetBSD terminology) of the following
 partition no 1: 20 GB   (base system, src)
 partition no 2: 300 GB (pkgsrc, other sources, mails etc.)

i intend to setup 'ffs' on both the MBR partitions.

in the linux world, the disk would typically be '/dev/sda' and the two profound
partitions would be

in the NetBSD scheme of things, the first disk is seen as 'wd0'. In that case,
how would the two 'MBR partitions' be addressed as ?

i also have a couple of related questions:

1. what is the rationale behind using 'd' in BSD partition to represent the
entire disk ?
2. what is the significance of using two representations like wd0 and rwd0 ?
3. does fsck like utility perform better when one has slice with BSD partitions
rather than straight DOS like partition ?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.