building git not from pkgsrc - opinions on defaults?

There's a discussion on the git list about what the fit makefile
variables should default to on NetBSD.  I suspect that almost no one
builds by hand and everyone uses pkgsrc.  But if you build git by hand,
and you have an opinion on what PYTHON_PATH should be (other than saying
it should find the highest pythonX.Y in $PATH), etc., please let me know
and I'll summarize to the git list.