Re: How to use x11 nouveau on NetBSD

On Mon 17 Dec 2012 at 02:45:15 +0000, Pierre Pronchery wrote:
> - NetBSD does not have KMS to this day;

Is there any progress on this? I'm in the process of buying a new
do-it-all server, and it seems like all current X graphics drivers
require KMS now. Even the ati/radeon driver has succumbed in its latest
version. I just barely managed to find a card that is supported by the
radeon driver in NetBSD 6.0.

> - nobody has ported it to NetBSD yet (that I know of)

Is that because it is a lot of code? Because the code is bad? Because it
is a bad idea in the first place?

> I tried porting the old nouveau DRM code to NetBSD about three years ago.
> I ended up doing the sane thing: buying supported hardware from ATI/AMD
> and ditching my NVidia card. I even bought an expensive one because they
> simply deserve it.

Some ATI-labeled cards seem to be nVidia instead? Of which the driver is
unusable. Why this confusion with what ATI really is?

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'