Re: NetBSD, sendmail with AUTH and TLS

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012, John Nemeth wrote:

On May 5,  6:53pm, Peter Bex wrote:
} On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 05:03:34PM -0600, Michael Parson wrote:
} > The bits that I can think of to check are:
} >
} > /usr/local/libexec/sendmail/sendmail (not linked against libpthread at all)
} > /usr/local/lib/sasl2/ (not linked against libpthread at all)
} > /usr/local/sbin/saslauthd (not linked against libpthread at all)
} > [...]
} See below
} > For giggles, I ran through all of /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/bin,
} > can't find anything linked against pthread.0, all the pthreads requests
} > are for .1
} Okay, so it's not the upgrade itself that's wrong.
} > It might help if I can find who is loading  Reading a
} > ktrace of sendmail it looks like sendmail is loading it, but it's not
} > directly linked to it:
} > [...]
} That's likely the problem.  Libpthread *must* be loaded from the
} very start of the program.  It can't be initialized later on, AFAIK.

    libpthread overrides some entry points in libc, so you're either
linked against libpthread or not.

} This is probably a packaging issue then.  If you can get the sendmail
} binary linked against libpthread, that should probably solve the issue.

    No, you can't.  sendmail uses _res which isn't thread safe.  Since
db3 and db4 are both linked against pthread, that means you can't use
either one.  Try removing SASL_DBTYPE from mk.conf.

OK!  That fixed SMTP AUTH!  Thanks.  I'll put a note on the wiki page about

Now... any ideas about where to start looking for the TLS problems?

I'll start digging down looking for more pthread possibilities...

Michael Parson
Austin, TX