Re: firefox missing content, bad fonts, and two fontconfigs installed

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, herbert langhans wrote:

> > ... lots of ugly fonts (such as using large fixed width ...
> >
> >   Jeremy C. Reed
>
> Did you check if the fonts are in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts or
> /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts - could be that the packages drop them into the
> wrong path. I had such problem with abiword & co.

Over 4000 font files in there.

> With xfontsel you can check what is available under X11.

As for the problem with pkgsrc evince/poppler requiring fontconfig that
was caused by the official build system accidently didn't have the X11R7
sets installed. That is fixed now (so no longer a dependency).

But I still had problems with firefox (text content randomly
disappearing and replaced with black rectangles).  So I decided to not
use the offical packages repo and used an alternative repo that use
modular X11 (and got firefox from there too) and now I am using pkgsrc's
modular-xorg-server instead of /usr/X11R7/.

This appears to work, but xulrunner did crash once. I think this may be
related to some threading issues in 6.0 but I don't know the details not
status of that. Anyone have details on that? (On a different note, I
have two other 6.0 systems that have software crashing with threads that
previously worked with 5.x.)