firefox missing content, bad fonts, and two fontconfigs installed

I upgraded my wife's system from a NetBSD 6.0 beta to the release and
installed the X11 sets. (It had used modular X from pkgsrc for years.) I
also used pkgin to upgrade firefox and various software.

The new firefox 16 didn't render some pages (lots of missing content),
had lots of ugly fonts (such as using large fixed width where it
normally has proportional), and firefox tabs and menu items and
even webpage content sometimes had black rectangles where the text would
be.  This would change if I tried to highlight some text sometimes.
This made some websites unusable (we had to pay a bill online and
couldn't)!

I tried older firefox36. I tried my previous firefox-8.0 (I built last
year) and I also built 17 using pkgsrc. I also tried moving the
${WIFE}/.mozilla and .font* directories out of the way.

I had many warnings like:

(firefox:5385): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output.
shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Lucida Bold 14.6669921875', text='FAQ'

(firefox:5385): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output.
shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Lucida Medium 25.3330078125', text='anomie'

(firefox:5385): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output.
shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Lucida Medium Italic 14.6669921875', text='
'

(firefox:5385): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output.
shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Lucida Bold 18.6669921875',
text='religions,'

(firefox:5385): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output.
shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Lucida Medium Italic 18.6669921875',
text='"If'

nsBuiltinDecoderStateMachine::RunStateMachine queuing
nsBuiltinDecoder::Playback Ended

I removed my fontconfig package (which made me lose poppler and evince
and various tex packages) and most of the problems appeared to be fixed.
I confirmed by re-installing it and the problems came back.  I also
installed ms-ttf and that appeared to make some content look nicer too.

The problem that still exists is that I sometimes see rectangles instead
of fonts in firefox menus.

So now I have problem where I need to install evince but poppler appears
to need pkgsrc fontconfig (I didn't look closely other than the repo
packages require it).

Any ideas?

By the way, I dislike having /usr/X11R7 duplicating /usr/pkg/ -- but I
want to use packages from the NetBSD ftp.

  Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'EhZ[h ^jjf0%%h[[Zc[Z_W$d[j%Xeeai%ZW[ced#]dk#f[d]k_d%' | \