Re: How to compile kernel for i686 instead of i386?

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 08:42:40PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 08:46:10AM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> >
> > Fine tuning (removing) of kernel options brought the time down from 27s
> > (of stock kernel) to the above range (i.e. kernel tuning made at least a
> > small difference, though compiler options made none.).
>
> If you remove most of the device drivers from the kernel, it will boot much
> faster.  I have to say this is about as bad a general-purpose benchmark of
> system performance as I can imagine, however.

I never meant it to be a `benchmark' of system performance, though I did
ask whether it relates to kernel performance since visibly both systems
appeared to reach the same state but took vastly different times.

There are two OSes dealing with same hardware with remarkable difference
in time to initialize it. It's a matter of curiosity and technical
interest to know whether I could tweak one to do better.

Thanks to a few responses so far, I got to understand about how timeouts
can influence.

> I assume you have already reduced the bootblocks' timeouts?

No. I haven't come across such a thing before. Could you please suggest
something more to read / try? (Will also search.) Thanks for the input.

Mayuresh.